Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Smoothing out the rough edges



This journey of StangBeast restoration is a lot like getting ready for that special prom date or class pictures or your wedding day. You take extra time in the shower scrubbing and rinsing, washing and cleaning. In front of the mirror you move inches from your reflection to get all those bumps and valleys and hairs into their right place. So it is for the Stang.

Removing the chrome trim pieces left holes in the sheetmetal that needed to be filled in. 40+ years left waves and dents and rust; all needed extra special attention. I didn't especially like the F-O-R-D in the hood so those letters were popped out. On the driver's side just behind the front wheel I found some rust that was not treatable. So armed with a saw-saw and nerves of steel, a triangular piece was cut out. Fear not though, a new piece of metal was welded in place and smoothed out, you can't even tell the piece was even cut!

The rocker panel moldings were removed as well as the brackets that hold them on. I really wanted a smooth, straight, tight Mustang for the finished product. The Mustang's body lines are so straight and the car is so small, I didn't want there to be any distracting scoop moldings or antenna poking through the fender. Simple, elegant, classy. Oh Yeah!











Looking over these pics sends a chill up and down my spine! But it's a good chill. I hope you are enjoying this journey as much as I am, write a comment and let me know! Until next time...

No comments: